[ltp] Re: New ati-drivers out there

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:41:16 -0600

> > Hi,
> >
> >         I encourage everyone that think or want to give IBM
> feedback about the
> > adapters they incorporate as their video cards... To send
> an email to
> > askibm@vnet.ibm.com to Ask IBM to please use nvidia cards
> or tell ATI to
> > make better video drivers.
> >
> >         We, here cannot do anything about it. Just ask our
> provider to please sell
> > us what we want.
> >
> >  .Alejandro
> >

> Are the nvidia linux drivers really any better on laptops?  I'm pretty
> sure they don't support suspend and either.
>
> Alex

There is one fact. If you do not care about Graphics, i.e. games, special
things or 3D acceleration, then both nvidia and ATI work perfectly. One
simply uses the normal ATI driver used by XFree86 or xorg.

But, if you want Games(doom 3), or want real graphics accelaration, then
Nvidia does a much much better work than ATI. Really! I use it in a desktop
and works fine, I tried it in a laptop, but never really did much with it,
but worked perfectly.

Nvidia driver is way easier to install (at least for me) and you can have
like 80% of the nvidia power with the Linux driver, instead the ATI drivers
gives you like a 30-40% performance of what you would get in Windows.

I have compared the x600 and nvidia 5750 and the Nvidia ran Doom 3 even
faster than Windoz.

Let's face it. ATI is into the IBM's just by the fact that they have a
"partnership".

I'm sick and really had it with this Video cards issues, why can't they just
make a good driver?

.Alejandro