[ltp] New ati-drivers out there

Jens Mayer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:08:19 +0200

* On Wednesday 15 June 2005 17:22, Konstantin Filtschew wrote:

> Why do you all think, that nvidia is better. I try to setup a desktop
> System with suspend and yes it is again a graphic card. This graphic
> card is from NVIDIA and the driver doesn't support suspend!

I can second this. I set  up swsusp2 on my desktop, but it finally only wor=
ked=20
with the (unaccelerated) open source "nv" drivers from Xorg.=20

=46rom what I've seen during my "experiments", the Nvidia closed source dri=
ver=20
was even worse than ATI's proprietary driver when it came to suspend/resume=
,=20
freezing the box completely.

I do not have too much hope that ATI (or Nvidia) will get matured drivers o=
ut=20
soon - they seem to focus on fps-addicted gamers, not on users who want=20
"basic functionality" first - which includes suspend/resume while having a=
=20
working DRI for render- and composite extensions for me.

Let's see how r300.sf.net evolves - I have much more faith in these guys.

Regards,
Jens

=2D-=20
=46ast, cheap, good: pick two.