[ltp] Accelerated 3D without fglrx

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:58:50 +0200

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 20:23:34 +0000, Florian Dorpmueller wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >since some people here (myself included) don't like the ATI drivers for
> >some very good reasons, I tried the r300 driver from r300.sf.net on my
> >desktop equipped with a Radeon 9600 card. I followed the documentation
> >and built X.org CVS, Mesa CVS and the r300 driver including a modified
> >radeon kernel module and just collected some fishes in tuxracer. :-)
> >
> >There are some known problems with lookups on 9800 cards but maybe it's
> >worth a try. I don't know about suspend behaviour, since I only have an
> >old T23 with S3 graphics, but if there are problems, there is at least
> >a chance to get them fixed since it's open source.
>
> I also have accelerated 3D and DRI on my R51 with the radeon driver coming
> with xfree86. I compiled agpart and intel-agp into the kernel and radeon as
> a module. That was all.

The IBM website states that the R51 has an old ATI Mobility RADEON
7500, which is based on the rv200 chip. The XFree86 drivers provide
hardware DRI support up to the Radeon 9200. The real trick is to get
accelerated 3D on a Radeon >= 9500, which are based on an r300 chip or
higher. This is what the r300 driver is for.

For a short summary, you can look at
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon.

Regards,
Tino