[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:24:03 +0200

Since every single T-series user seems to be boasting I'll also do my part.

I bought my very first T23 just over a year ago. Don't ask how much I
paid for it. The prices for used laptops in Poland have dropped so much
in the last 12 months that now I could easily have bought T30 or even
T40 for the money. I got over it and now I'm more than satisfied with
the quality I got.

Specs:
P3-M 1,13G (Tualatin w. 512k L2 cache)
512M RAM in single IBM chip (upgraded)
40G Hitachi 5400rpm HDD (replaced)
24x/8x Combo drive (upgraded from CD-ROM)

Pros:
+ lightweight and slim
+ *powerful* CPU
+ Linux works out-of-the-box (apart from WinModem & IrDA)
+ heavily equipped mainboard packed with sensors and stuff
+ 'Triple S' cooling fan: Silent, Single, Side intake & blowing
+ normal keyboard layout (unlike most of the other makers')
+ rugged case (involuntarily tested on multiple occasions)
+ indestructible silent charger (ever tripped on that wire?)
+ not a single display error of any type after over 3 years of operation
+ ThinkLight
+ 'silent' CD speed setting in BIOS
+ no FDD (yes, this IS a definitive advantage - never used one in 3yrs)
+ LPT for my legacy (sadly inSANE) scanner and printer
+ Linux-operational TV-out makes it my makeshift mobile DVD player
+ Lucent WinModem that actually works under Linux
+ internal mic, great speakers; sound card with Line-in
+ Certified IBM Service is a 5 mins by car from my place. In case I ever
gonna need it anymore.

Cons:
- (this one's MAJOR) only 14" display with max 1024x768 resolution :-(
(Anyway it's better to have this rather than both higher and
non-standard resolution on the very same 14" in "better" T-models.)
- S3 graphics that doesn't seem to be working right (lame 3D, awkward
AGP under Linux)
- original HDD had to be replaced (unreliable and LOUD)
- legacy ISA keyboard interface - AFAIMC the only ISA device that
requires kernel support
- relatively short battery uptime (even on a new one)
- only 2 USB sockets
- no WiFi (don't miss it either, but still)
- no BT (dongle does the trick, but sticks out badly)
- no USB 2.0 or FireWire (can't really blame IBM)
- only the most basic Fn-F* keys (3, 4, 7 & 12)
- no hardware MIDI

Greetings from Poland

Marcin Trybus