[ltp] How to kick the FAN Up.

Florian Trippel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:14:45 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

I basically have the same problem: I baught a t43p and compiled gentoo
from stage1. I later realized the heat: cat /proc/acpi/temperature
yields 87 C. That's really bad, since I get an impression of what the
fan can do at boot up. It seems it does not adjust to load. With
ibm-acpi installed, you can even read fan speed with: cat
/proc/acpi/ibm/fan and this tells me that fan goes only up very little
when under load due do compilation for instance. I have put in a
service request to IBM already, since I cannot imagine that it is very
good for a tp to get that hot! But still, where do we know, that 87 C
ist corret? Maybe the value is not right, I also asked IBM for a
program they approve and that reads temperature values. Do you think
our thinkpads got already damaged? Mine has run 3 days, 6 hours a day
at 87 C if the value is correct :-(. I think it is not acceptable,
that IBM didn't make a statement regarding that issue, since it is a
potential risk and only windows, where there is an IBM power
management driver available, is usable with t43p. But to acknowledge
in windows my fan speed does not increase under load either, but I
installed my own versio of windows and post-installed the ibm drivers
(acpi, apm, ...). I think that should do, but atm I cannot recover (my
ibm-predesktop area states that rescue has been disabled on this
system, though I did never touch this partition, just set bios
protection to disabled, maybe it is because of that). I still want to
try the original factory configuration with fan speed. maybe it is
hjust normal, we'll see. Please inform me, if you can get any more
information about fan regulation :-).

Greetz,
Florian