[ltp] in reference to you ibm-acpi changelog from Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:22:31 -0800

Florian Trippel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:41:47 +0200

Hi Boris,

you asked people owning some newer models, the t43p for instance, to
get in touch with you. I am basically a very happy owner of one and I
wanted to start getting into linux. Unfortunately ibm does not supply
any native acpi driver for linux as they do for windows. I tried some
programs, like your ibm-acpi and several linux kernel, the
vanilla-2.6.12_rc3 and vanilla-2.6.12_rc6 with the new acpi patches
from acpi.sf.net on my gentoo, but neither of them worked for me. The
problem with acpi is, that the folder in /proc/acpi/fan is empty. Does
this have to do sth. with dtst as described in some posts? I got your
experimental fan control setting in ibm-acpi to work: fan can be
disabled and enabled, but i cannot pass a default option for fan with
modprobe, like i can for video option. I boot up and load ibm-acpi und
cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan and it pretends to be off - though, it displays
a fan speed - but it is definitely on ;-).

I admit, I don't know anything useful about the topic acpi, but I
would be glad to see support for t43p in the next ibm-acpi release.
Let me know if i could help you with testing - please no tests that
could toast my thinkpad :-). In your readme you describe how to set
fan speed wiht some models through level 0..7 or speed. Do you think
sth. like that could be easy to implement on a t43p? I don't mind
setting fan speed manually. At the moment I am getting temperatures of
86 C at most, when compiling some time, for instance. Is that normal?
Can I damage my thinkpad, when I do not enable acpi, so bios does
handle fan control? How does all this work? I would be glad, if you
could show me where to look to get this information.

Greetz,
Florian