[ltp] in reference to you ibm-acpi changelog from Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:22:31 -0800

Michael Ott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:05:18 +0200

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

Hello D.!

> 0.8
Use the new one. Compile it by yourself. There are many changes until
0.8

> >Hello, which version is included in kernel 2.6.12, 0.8 or the newest 0.1=
1?
> >----- Original Nachricht ----
> >>Hi Boris,
> >>you asked people owning some newer models, the t43p for instance, to
> >>get in touch with you. I am basically a very happy owner of one and I
> >>wanted to start getting into linux. Unfortunately ibm does not supply
> >>any native acpi driver for linux as they do for windows. I tried some
> >>programs, like your ibm-acpi and several linux kernel, the
> >>vanilla-2.6.12_rc3 and vanilla-2.6.12_rc6 with the new acpi patches
> >>from acpi.sf.net on my gentoo, but neither of them worked for me. The
> >>problem with acpi is, that the folder in /proc/acpi/fan is empty. Does
> >>this have to do sth. with dtst as described in some posts? I got your
> >>experimental fan control setting in ibm-acpi to work: fan can be
> >>disabled and enabled, but i cannot pass a default option for fan with
> >>modprobe, like i can for video option. I boot up and load ibm-acpi und
> >>cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan and it pretends to be off - though, it displays
> >>a fan speed - but it is definitely on ;-).
> >>I admit, I don't know anything useful about the topic acpi, but I
> >>would be glad to see support for t43p in the next ibm-acpi release.
> >>Let me know if i could help you with testing - please no tests that
> >>could toast my thinkpad :-). In your readme you describe how to set
> >>fan speed wiht some models through level 0..7 or speed. Do you think
> >>sth. like that could be easy to implement on a t43p? I don't mind
> >>setting fan speed manually. At the moment I am getting temperatures of
> >>86 C at most, when compiling some time, for instance. Is that normal?
> >>Can I damage my thinkpad, when I do not enable acpi, so bios does
> >>handle fan control? How does all this work? I would be glad, if you
> >>could show me where to look to get this information.

CU       =20
        =20
  Michael =20
         =20
--                                                      =20
           Michael Ott, e-mail: michael@zolnott.de, www.zolnott.de         =
 =20
I am registered as user #275453 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.o=
rg.