[ltp] some ibm windows/linux questions

David Tansey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:30:22 -0400

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions, but first let me state my problem.

I ran grub-install /dev/hda1 by accident and can no longer
boot into windows. I tried some remedies online but haven't
solved anything. (The most promising one was using dd to
backup the bootsector and then put in the backup boot sector
into the superblock of /dev/hda1.)

So I guess I need to reinstall windows. I used to be able to
mount my windows partition, but even that is impossible now. I
can't remember doing anything differently -- oh well.

Is there a way to use the IBM recovery CDs and not wipe my
linux install? Maybe some way to make some partitions read-only?

I have my system wonderfully configured now and I really don't
want to have to reinstall everything.

Thanks!

-David