[ltp] some ibm windows/linux questions

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:59:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, David Tansey wrote:

> I have a couple of questions, but first let me state my problem.
>
> I ran grub-install /dev/hda1 by accident and can no longer
> boot into windows. I tried some remedies online but haven't
> solved anything. (The most promising one was using dd to
> backup the bootsector and then put in the backup boot sector
> into the superblock of /dev/hda1.)
>
> So I guess I need to reinstall windows.

Just because you can't boot Windows or mount the partition doesn't mean the
data is wiped out.

Use "fdisk -l" to confirm that the partition is still there, and "od -t x1z"
to confirm that it still has stuff on it.

> I used to be able to mount my windows partition, but even that is
> impossible now. I can't remember doing anything differently -- oh well.

Fire up a DOS floppy and try "fdisk /mbr" (that rewrites the boot sector,
but it may also rewrite the partition table).  Use DOS (or Linux) fdisk and
make a small change to the partition table to force a rewrite, such as
changing the type of a partition or setting the "bootable" flag.

Maybe scandisk from an XP CD (if you have one)?

A. A Top Poster                        \   http://www.fscked.co.uk/
B. Who's there?                         \   writing/
A. Knock-knock -- from bobward@xxx.com   \   top-posting-cuss.html