[ltp] Re: IBM HDAPS Someone interested?

Yani Ioannou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:34:34 -0400

On 6/20/05, Alejandro Bonilla <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> wrote:
> Yani,
>=20
>         What company has ever released a Linux driver, just for the heck =
of it, or
> simply because they wanted it out? Hell no.

Actually..a quick search through LKML and lm_sensors reveals quite a
few, but there could always be more.

> We have to be persistent and ask them to release something, we paid a lot=
 of
> money, and I have been missinformed to the fact that IBM loved Linux and
> wanted to "support it". Looks like a big lie to me. They don't even need =
> release a driver, just information. It is not even something that they on=
ly
> have. Now we all know that Analog Devices makes the hardware. Not them.

Well, aside from this having nothing to do with IBM anymore, I agree
that I personally don't see the great harm in Lenevo releasing the
information. Many other notebook manufactuers have a similair system
now (Apple powerbooks, and some others) so the competitive advantage
is waning.

> If people would send emails to IBM like I have, instead of complaining an=
> doing pilitical arguments, we probably would have an answer already.

I don't see how I did either of those :-|. I simply thought you hadn't
seen the statement, obviously you had. I also wanted to provide what I
thought was important feedback on what I had determined myself about
the system.

Yani