[ltp] some ibm windows/linux questions

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:29:02 +0200

On Monday 20 June 2005 21:30, David Tansey wrote:
> I ran grub-install /dev/hda1 by accident and can no longer
> boot into windows. I tried some remedies online but haven't
> solved anything. (The most promising one was using dd to
> backup the bootsector and then put in the backup boot sector
> into the superblock of /dev/hda1.)
>
> So I guess I need to reinstall windows. I used to be able to
> mount my windows partition, but even that is impossible now. I
> can't remember doing anything differently -- oh well.

Before reinstalling ... do you have a Windows CD ready? From there you
can boot into a recovery console which -- between others -- provides
two interesting commands which helped me:

fixboot
fixmbr

The former one fixes the boot sector, the latter one the MBR. The first
one should "delete" GRUB from /dev/hda1 while the second one would
remove GRUB from the MBR (interesting if you want to restore the
original Windows MBR, you should only need to fix the boot record of
your partition). See

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

for more information.

Regards,
Matthias

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/