[ltp] ACPI suspend to RAM on T21

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:47:20 -0600

Since this message has gone unanswered for over a day, I'll give it my
best shot.  Take it for what it is worth.

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 08:28 -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> System: T21, Intel Pro/100 ethernet (so ACPI should work), no hibernate
> partition, kernel 2.6.11, ibm-acpi 0.11, Gentoo

Is there a reason that ACPI should not work with cards other than the
Intel Pro/100?  I have heard that ACPI could interfere with the 3Com
module, but it has been working fine for me.  Are you implying that the
relationship could go in the other direction (the card/module could
interfere with ACPI)?

> My system refuses to sleep when I close the case; it stays powered on.

Can I assume that you have succeeded in putting the laptop into S3 from
the command line, or is it possible that the problem is unrelated to the
ACPI event/handler/script?

> I have /etc/acpi/events/lid:
>
> event=button/lid
> action=/etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh %e
>
> and /etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # if launched through a lid event and lid is open, do nothing
> echo "$1" | grep "button/lid" && grep -q open
> /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state && exit 0
> sync
> # go to sleep
> echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state
>
> Am I missing something?

Have you checked the acpid log, and checked that acpid is running?
Added debug statements to ensure the script is being run as you expect
(they would appear in the log)?  Checked for appropriate execute
permissions on the script?

I have still not succeeded in getting S3 working on my T21, so I do not
have "the solution".  The only suggestion I have is to make sure the
savage module is not loaded or compiled into the kernel (that module
prevented S1 on my machine, so it probably interferes with S3 as well).

> thanks,
>  Stewart

Hope it helps,
Kevin