[ltp] LM_Sensors

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Pax wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:23:05 -0400 (EDT)
> Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Pax wrote:
> >
> > > I have just purchased an IBM Thinkpad 570e secondhand. I am planning to install Debian but
> > > have been reading horror stories vis-a-vis I2C and lm_sensors. This being my first laptop
> > > I'm not sure about procedure. Is this something that will install itself and can be run by
> > > accident or does it have to be consciously installed and then run with malice aforethought?
> > > If the former, how do I disable it during install, and if the latter does it appear as I2C
> > > and lm_sensors or can it sneak in under another name? In short, how many chances out of
> > > 10 have I got of not trashing my new toy?
> >
> > IME, lm_sensors won't run if it detects that it's on a Thinkpad.  I don't
> > know what allowance that makes for "proved safe" machines.  Anyhow, IIRC
> > ACPI does all that lm_sensors does (if that machine does ACPI), so you don't
> > really need it.
> >
> > WRT it getting on there unbeknownst to you, never do an "easy install".
>
> OK, many thanks. "Easy install"? I run Debian, is that the one where you
> don't do it standing up in a hammock?

If by "that" you mean an easy install, I think so.  Basically, what I mean
is that having the computer choose packages for you may result in some
unwanted (or downright dangerous) packages being installed.

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell