[ltp] credit fingerprint

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:05:27 -0600

What is it that you guys want to do? learn to direct the next mission
impossible?

> > Q: How difficult is it to fake a fingerprint?
> > A: Very.
>
> 	Or Easy, depending on how you want to do it.

Depends on the fingerprint reader. If it's a swipe, is pretty hard, if it's
a put-your-finger-over-it, then is stupid to even have it.

> > Q: How easy is it to amputate a finger complete with print?
> > A: Very
>
> 	A: Not very easy
> with the proper scanner. Besides, you'd have to amputate and use the
> finger within 2-3 minutes of initial amputation to allow it
> to work at
> all.

I wouldn't know about this one. If it's a fingerprint, which has the PRINT,
why would you want the finger fresh? (you are talking nasty stuff here) I
believe that the finger just have to keep it's shape and then you will be
able to enter the matrix.

> > Q: Do we really want fingerprint readers?
> > A: Speaking entirely for myself, no thank you!
>
> 	Absolutely, if designed correctly (i.e. meeting all three
> goals of the Code of Federal Regulations, 21:11). Right now,
> passwords
> meet 1 criteria. That's not strong and easy to compromise. A
> biometric
> card satisfies all three:

Of course we do! I have it in my T42 and it rockks! If my girlfriend calls
me and tells me to give her the password to get into the PC, I tell her,
that she will need my finger. :). OK, it is more secure cause, it's a
fingerprint and, ahh what could be cooler than that? How can some normall
person, or someone somehow experienced crack into the system? they can't!!
It's not going to blank the passwords by just removing the internal battery,
It's not going to fail by by that.

I do wonder if it would still work if you propperly de-attach the
fingerprint reader from the board. :/

> 	1. Something you have (card, keyfob, usb dongle)
> 	2. Something you know (password, phrase, magical incantation)
> 	3. Something you are (biometric fingerprint, eyeprint, voice)
>
> 	Anything else is just not worth investigating.

What kind of freak would have this 3 security things? This sounds like the
network or system administrator's hell. I don't know what is this security
for, but sounds like a movie.

Something you have sounds like business not-friendly. Imagine someone that
forgot their card at home. Now, a password and a fingerprint sounds good
enough.

.Alejandro