[ltp] No "hardware" Dvorak reconfiguration possible with Thinkpads

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:25:19 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> 	Last night I started thinking about improving my typing speed
> using dvorak instead of qwerty. I'm at around 100-120wpm, and want to
> reduce the movement across the keyboard to type.
(snip)
> 	Short of sanding off the keytops (which I'd rather not do), or
> using an external keyboard (which removes the portability of the
> laptop), what other solution is there for this? Do any companies make
(snip)

I'd be very interested in learning good ways of doing this. I'd be okay
with an external dvorak keyboard, but I'd want the built-in one to remain
qwerty and, the last I looked, Linux doesn't make it easy to give
different keyboard different keymaps so that you don't have to "switch
between" them in software somehow.

-- Mark