[ltp] Re: IBM HDAPS Someone interested?

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:43:14 +1200

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:00, James Knott wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Actually yes, it needs to be visible to the user and no, it probably
> > should not run during boot. If user is in plane/train, accellerometers
> > will basically detect problems all the time; still you want to use the
> > computer.
> > (And you still want the machine to boot => default == fall detection
> > off).
>
> If it triggered while flying in a plane, I'd be a bit concerned about my
> safety.  ;-)
>
> As I recall, from what I read about that system, it's supposed to detect
> sharp accelerations, such as hitting the floor.
It's 'game over' if the machine hits the floor with the disk heads extended.
The problem is that it has to forecast hitting the floor and withdraw the
heads, and has only 300mS or so in which to do it. But my machine survived a
'slow slither' to the carpeted floor from the seat of a settee. ( I have
since removed the retaining clip from the network cable so it disconnects
rather than pulling the ThinkPad to the floor. )

BTW, when was the movement detector introduced?
I own a R40-2681-B9M. Have I got one?

--
C. S.