[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:34:05 -0400

On Saturday 25 June 2005 8:10, Sriram Karra wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad 600 (2645-48U) that I have just started using after
> a really long time.  The sound was working even ~4 years ago with
> Debian Potato.  But Sarge is having issues.  I did go through the
> archives and tried out different things.  Most specifically disable
> BIOS Quick Boot.  After doing that I did start getting Beeps from the
> speakers but xmms and stuff still refuse to work.

	I had problems with fresh installation of Sarge not detecting the sound card
on my 600. After a while I gave up and booted Windows. Windows gave some
error message that the card could not be initialised. I had to flash the BIOS
before the card could be detected. Rebooted to Sarge and tried again with the
same results. Flashed it again, and sound card is detected again.
Apparently, if you tell it to try all possible configurations, something in
the detection routine from Sarge corrupts the data in the BIOS.

> modprobe cs46xx with the usual args mentioned on this list many times
> suceeds without any error.  But xmms does not produce any sound and
> gives error even on startup.  The other modules like
> cs4232/cs4231/cs4236 do not even get loaded.
>
> It's a little frurstrating to have working hardware give such problems
> after upgrade ... :)  Any further tips on how I can make some
> progress?

	Sounds like the same problem that I had. I tried Libranet 2.8, which is based
on Sarge. Libranet probed the card, found nothing, then asked if I wanted to
try ALSA. With ALSA the card was detected as a CS4236 and worked first try.

	Jeff