[ltp] dual boot, t22, Linux and XP

Duncan Anderson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:03:18 +0200

Eben King wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Jane Ellen Jarrell wrote:
>

>>I have both Mandrake Linux 10.1 and XP sp2 on my Thinkpad T22 type
>>2747.  The XP side crashed.   Every time I try to boot, it shows the
>>blue screen.  Can I reinstall the XP without destroying the Linux?
>>

>Sure, but it'll nuke the boot block.  Have a rescue disk ready.

It's really not difficult. Install the XP, making sure that you preserve
the Linux partitions, then boot off Mdk 10.1 disk 1, press F1, type
"rescue", then restore the boot loader.

Later, log in to Mandrake as root (or "su"), edit the /etc/lilo.conf
file and make sure there is an entry like this:

other=/dev/hda3
        label="windows"

Make sure the device name corresponds with the partition you are using
for XP. (cfdisk will tell you, or diskdrake).

Then run lilo and everything will be OK.

I have this exact setup on my T22. If you are using GRUB as your boot
loader, then I am not sure how you would do it.

cheers
Duncan