[ltp] dual boot, t22, Linux and XP

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:59:39 -0700

Eben King wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Jane Ellen Jarrell wrote:
>

>>I have both Mandrake Linux 10.1 and XP sp2 on my Thinkpad T22 type
>>2747.  The XP side crashed.   Every time I try to boot, it shows the
>>blue screen.  Can I reinstall the XP without destroying the Linux?
>>

>Sure, but it'll nuke the boot block.  Have a rescue disk ready.

An alternative is to copy the boot sector to a file on the Windows C:
drive first, and add the entry to C:\boot.ini which invokes this file.
Then you can repair Windows as often as necessary without damage on the
linux side.  I have seen one current version of Windows which leaves my
SuSE grub installation on MBR, but that's the proverbial exception.