[ltp] Re: IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer)

Uwe Bonnes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:54:45 +0000 (UTC)

Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:41, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> > Aside from what we should do when we get the data... How can we/us/I
> > start checking and see if we can find any response from the embedded
> > controller?
> >
> > Do we have to backengineer everything, can we get anything of this from
> > IBM-ACPI, or our only way to go here is see if IBM will do anything?
> >
> > Thanks for all the answers. I really don't want to drop the topic, so
> > that we can figure this one out.

> Another question to ask:
> Is it possible to create a wrapper and interface to the existing black-box
> XP code? ( in much the same way as the ndiswrapper project allows Linux to
> use some wireless cards. Also the 'Captive' project accesses NTFS similarly
> )

It is probably possible, but the effort needed is unknown.

A first step would be to find out, what windows kernel functionss are needed
by the driver. Then match these functions with those available in
ndiswrapper or captive and start to write the missing functions...

> I agree it's not as 'pure' as a native kernel module, but it might produce
> a workable solution.

Bye