[ltp] Display defects on IBM ThinkPad T23

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:37:43 +0200

Hello,

it started last automn with a small black defect at the bottom of the
display. It was not of that typical pixel defect type. Its borders are
blurred.

I had the notebook in two repair services. One I wouldn't recommend to
anyone cause to my perception there are ripping people off. At least they
chared my 100 EUR for diagnosis where I talked about that I want a phone
call when repair costs exceed 100 EUR. And the repair should cost 700 EUR
when I do it now. When I do it later more parts of the notebook will be
broken and it would cost 1000 EUR then. Well I got the notebook for 300
EUR (used)!!

But the other one was quite good (http://www.notebook-klinik.de). Andreas
Richer didn't charge anything for diagnosis. His result was that the
display needs to be replaced cause the connectors to the transistors of
the display are marode. He said that would cost about 400 EUR. Although
thats 300 EUR less then the other repair service its still quite much for
me. The defects will get more and more he said.

After I got my notebook back I had two more defects (I think they happend
during transport). Right now its stable and no new defects appeared since
then.

Now, Andreas said I could easily replace the display myself when I find
exact the same type. Did you replace a TFT display on a IBM ThinkPad,
preferably a T23? What were your experiences? Do you have any hints for
getting a display of the exact same type? Do I have to open my notebook
or is there a list somewhere (well I might search one myself in the deep
labyrinth of the IBM webpage universe)?

I appreciate any hints as I love my ThinkPad and would like to repair it.
But right now its difficult for me to afford 400 EUR or more. And it
possible doesn't make much sense to spend that much money as the
notebook's value isn't that much anymore. (Well its quite good equipped
and even has a Teac DVD burner with hand adapted front side;-).

Regards,