[ltp] HOWTO: Thinkpad T42p Bluetooth DUN and Treo 650

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:15:12 -0600

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:26 +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Dax Kelson wrote:
>
> > Using my ThinkPad T42p and my Treo 650 I wrote a HOWTO on using setting
> > up my laptop to get Internet access anywhere (with cell phone coverage)
> > over a Bluetooth DUN connection.
> >
> > You can check it out here:
> >
> > http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/Using_Linux_and_Bluetooth_DUN_with_the_Treo650.php
> >
> > Dax Kelson
> > Guru Labs
>
> Dax,
>
> Can I suggest one modification (I haven't tried yet!).  Most FC4 uses
> seem to be putting SELinux in permissive mode, i.e. effectively
> turning it off when they hit problems, as your guide suggests. This
> shouldn't be necessary.  A compromise approach to actually tweaking
> the SELinux policy source (which *can* sometimes be tricky) is to see
> if you can ask SELinux to just ignore a specific daemon.
[snip]
> This is part of my campaign to encourage people to not just turn off
> SELinux globally when it hits problems - like they used to with
> firewalls :)  I'd be interested if this helps.

Your suggestions are good. Thank you for the feedback.

We meant to take your second approach with fixing the policy (as we
mentioned in the guide), but have been distracted by other things. :)

I did try your suggestion of leaving it in enforcing mode and toggle the
boolean and it does in fact workaround the problem and the bluetooth
daemons work fine.

Later today I'll update the guide to have users just toggle the boolean
instead of putting SELinux in permissive mode.

Hopefully later this week, we'll get the policy adjusted for a full on
proper fix.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs