[ltp] SUSE 9.2 on a Thinkpad X30

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:02:21 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 28, 2005 6:43 PM, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> When I run iwconfig, I see both a wifi0 and a wlan0:
As Paul Kimoto recently posted on this list, the wifi0 alias is used by programs like kismet to access raw data.  You should be accessing wlan0.

> You can see here that I've been given an IP address. That's a good
> sign, right?
Perhaps this is a good sign...  Is your interface set up for DHCP or did you assign that address statically?
There are many possibilities for your problem.  First, do you have encryption on your AP and if so, have you set the key properly on your wireless card?  Does your router accept pings?
Next, there may be a conflicting IP address on your network...can you try manually assigning an IP address that you know is free?
What steps did you take to bring up the wireless?  Try doing it manually and see what happns:
# iwconfig wlan0 essid YourESSID
$ iwconfig wlan0 enc your_WEP_key_in_hex
# ifconfig wlan0 up
# dhclient wlan0
Check to see if dhclient gets an IP address from the DHCP server.  If not, try assigning one manually:
# ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.0.1 wlan0
Now try pinging stuff and let us know the results...
Sorry if you already tried this stuff, you didn't really say in your post how you got it working in the first place...

-m

This mail was sent with TotalOffice--Secure, encrypted webmail with the look and feel of a desktop client.
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com