Re[2]: [ltp] SUSE 9.2 on a Thinkpad X30

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:32:24 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 28, 2005 10:25 PM, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Morpheus, responses inline below.
>
> Thanks to you, I've at least gotten the wireless to work. I still have
> a couple things to figure out yet though.
Glad to be of service...hey you work at O'Reilly Press?  Maybe you can get me a book deal!  Or at least put my dog on one of your covers...

> For now, I've disabled WEP on my WAP. I've also disabled MAC
> filtering. My WAP is wide-open.
Okay, but when you finish testing you may want to change any passwords you transmitted in the clear, as they may have been sniffed.

> I get a "command not found" error in response to the dhclient command.
Sorry, I confess I'm not a SUSE expert and every distro uses a different DHCP client...but there are only a few popular ones so try the following:
# dhcpcd wlan0
or
# pump -i wlan0

Well, since you can ping by IP address, this is likely a name resolution problem.  DHCP is obviously not working so it's not setting your DNS server.  Go to one of your other machines and find out what the DNS server IP address(es) is(are) and then insert them manually into your /etc/resolv.conf file as follows:
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
etc.

> For now, I've used Yast to hardwire my ISP's nameserver addresses. I
> wonder why these are not picked up automatically though, at the same
> time that DHCP assigns my IP address.
> I further wonder why I have no default gateway. I hope I don't have to
> issue a route command each time I want to use wireless. I did define a
It seems that DHCP is not assigning your IP address for some reason, which is why you have no DNS or default GW, and why you couldn't ping until you assigned the IP address manually.  Once we get DHCP working, you shouldn't have to do this manually each time.  Let me know the results of your next round of testing...

-m

This mail was sent with TotalOffice--Secure, encrypted webmail with the look and feel of a desktop client.
http://www.totalinfosecurity.com