[ltp] Sound on Thinkpad 600

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:14:50 -0500

On Monday 28 February 2005 10:39, JP Shipherd wrote:
> There comes a time when one must admit they need help.  I did my first
> ever linux install on my Thinkpad 600 and I must confess I'm fumbling
> around a bit trying to get sound working.  There has been a lot of
> useful information in the archives to this list but being such a newbie
> I think I need to back up a step to understand what I'm doing.
>

> I'm running RedHat kernel 2.4.21-15.EL
>

> I *think* that I have built and installed the ALSA drivers, libraries
> and tools (ie: the make installs all worked) but am not sure how to
> tell.
>

> Thanks to some of the archives I've tried putting a few things in the
> /etc/modprobe.conf file.  Currently it looks like
>
>    alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
>
>    alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs4236
>
>   options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x538
> sb_port=0x220 fm_port=0x388 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5 mpu_port=0x330
> mpu_irq=9 enable=1
>

> When I run
>
>    /sbin/modprobe snd-cs4236
>
> I get a bunch of warnings and dmesg tells me:
>
>   CS4236+ soundcard not found or device busy
>

> I saw one thread that suggested I run
>
>    /sbin/modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5 dma1=1
> dma2=0 isapnp=0
>

> This does generate some warnings, but no dmesg's.  It also causes the
> line:
>
>    5:      0          XT-PIC  CS4231
>
> To appear when I run: cat /proc/interrupts.  (It wasn't there before the
> second modprobe command).
>

> Note that /sbin/lscpci does not seem to show any soundcards though.
>

> So, should my soundcard work now?  I don't even know how to tell.  If I
> try to run:
>
>    play /usr/share/sounds/email.wav
>
> I get:
>
>    sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
>

> I get a similar complaint from xmms, (something like "can't find
> device")
>

> And the soundcard detection program (In  the System Settings folder from
> the "red hat menu") say "No soundcards were detected".
>

> I feel like I'm swinging around without really understanding what is
> going on.  I realize that this issue has been answered before in this
> forum, but if anyone has the inclination, I could use some step-by-step
> help.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --jp

Have you looked at the howto at this link:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html

Also, I think the driver that you need is CS4232 rather than CS4236. My
experience has been that only one or two distros that I have tried worked
with the CS4236 module. With RH, you will probably have to unload then reload
the driver before it will work without the annoying multiple repeat echo
effect. Disable quickboot if you haven't already. Quickboot seems to cause
problems with the sound on 600's under Linux.

Jeff