[ltp] Sound on Thinkpad 600

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:51:46 -0800

On Monday 28 February 2005 07:39 pm, JP Shipherd wrote:
> I saw one thread that suggested I run
>
>    /sbin/modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5 dma1=1
> dma2=0 isapnp=0

That's the right modprobe info. It should work.

> This does generate some warnings, but no dmesg's.  It also causes the
> line:
>
>    5:      0          XT-PIC  CS4231
>
> To appear when I run: cat /proc/interrupts.  (It wasn't there before the
> second modprobe command).
>

> Note that /sbin/lscpci does not seem to show any soundcards though.
>

> So, should my soundcard work now?  I don't even know how to tell.  If I
> try to run:
>
>    play /usr/share/sounds/email.wav
>
> I get:
>
>    sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device

Run lsmod and see if there's another sound card driver that's being loaded
first. If there is, rmmod the offending module.

My friend Chad wrote me a very small script which rmmods an ALSA driver that
ALSA insists on inserting, and then modprobe in snd-cs4236 with that correct
line.

The sound card is actually ISA, not PCI, so of course lspci wouldn't find it.

For some reason you have to go through this step *after* everything else
loads. Don't ask me why, I have no clue.

Another thing: boot up while holding down F1 to get into the "hummingbird"
BIOS. Check to see if "Fast Boot" is on or not. If it is, turn it off. Fast
Boot is an optimization that only works with Windoze and is questionable even
there. Turn off "Fast Boot" and you should have joy when you rmmod the bad
module and modprobe in the good module.

Good luck and Goddess-speed,
Michelle
--