[ltp] Thinkpad multiple mouse and Firefox problem

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:10:32 -0500

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:36:05 -0500, Bill Harrison <billharrison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also posted to forums.gentoo.org:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-302318.html
>
> Short version: When I use the middle button on the Thinkpad to scroll,
> it automatically pastes whatever is in the buffer to Firefox, and
> tries to open a new web page.
>
> Long version: I've just added a section in my XF86Config for a USB
> mouse. I made a lot of changes, and accidentally overwrote my old
> config, which worked fine. Now, whenever I try to use the middle
> button on the Thinkpad to scroll in Firefox, it tries to go to another
> web page.
>
> I have tried variations of the Trackpoint section with no luck.
>
> Here are the relevent parts of the config file:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Trackpoint"
> Driver "mouse"
> # Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
> Option "EmulateWheel" "true" #on for scrolling
> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2" #on for scrolling
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true" #on for scrolling
> Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
> # Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
> # Option "Buttons" "7"
> Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5" #on for scrolling
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>
> Identifier "USBMouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> # Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
> # Option "Buttons" "7"
> Option "Buttons" "5" #Should be 7, not using other 2
> # Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> InputDevice "Trackpoint" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
> InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
> --

To get my Trackpoing working fully I patched my kernel (2.6.10) with his:
    http://people.clarkson.edu/~evanchsa/software/kernel/patches/

iirc, only the 2.6.10 patch has scrolling support.  I've been using it
daily for about a month now, and it works great - just the scrolling
is a bit too fast, but the author has that slated to be fixed in a
later release.

for Xorg/XFree I used this section:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "TrackPoint"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
     Option      "Protocol"      "IMPS/2"
     Option      "Buttons"       "7"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

* the z-axis mapping includes 6 and 7 as the patch has references to
horizontal scrolling as well, but I'm unable to get anything from it,
either via cat or xev so I guess it hasn't been turned on yet in the
patch.

* the device line is event2 as event1 is the touchpad and event0 is keyboard.

configuration:
the event driver is configured via /proc/trackpoint

to enable mid-button scrolling:
   sudo echo 1 > /proc/trackpoing/scroll

I run this at startup to set the initial configuration:

# apply settings for trackpoint:
test -e /proc/trackpoint && echo 1 > /proc/trackpoint/ptson
test -e /proc/trackpoint && echo 1 > /proc/trackpoint/scroll
test -e /proc/trackpoint && echo 300 > /proc/trackpoint/scroll_delay
test -e /proc/trackpoint && echo 180 > /proc/trackpoint/sensitivity

ptson == press to select

as far as mozilla and middle button behaviour goes, by default the
official version pastes urls.  Some versions differ however, as
ubuntu's just does a normal middle click.  Go to about:prefs and
search for 'middle' to change it.

--
Noah Dain
noahdain@gmail.com