[ltp] T41 Ubuntu Config Basics

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:54:53 -0500

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:14:14 -0500, Michael Z Daryabeygi
<mzd@sligowebworks.com> wrote:
> Help,
> I am pretty much still a linux newbie though I have made great strides.
> I have a dual boot WinXP Pro and Ubuntu Warty.
> And I think I am ready to make Ubuntu my default boot option.
> But I need to make all the standard configs to get all the thinkpad
> bells and whistles working.
> Plus I think I have a sound problem but I am not sure of it's scope.
>
> So what I am looking from you, oh wise list, is some basic pointers.
> Links to useful tutorials, packages I should install for battery
> management or what not, hyber/sleep, getting my middle mouse button to
> work...
>
> Simply names of packages, and what they do, that are useful for a
> thinkpad would be of most help.
>
> Thanks much in advance.
> And I won't bother with stupid questions after this until I RTFM, I promise.
>
> --

running ubu-hoary on an r40 here.

packages:  tpb, thinkpad-modules, thinkpad-base

for tpb you need to load the `nvram' module. Just add it to
/etc/modules.  tpb users need to be a member of the `nvram' group

imo, linux acpi is just too unreliable at the moment for things like
hibernation and suspend.  Yeah, there are work-arounds and maybe even
some fixes floating around out there but I'll wait until things mature
a bit.  Besides...

Thinkpads have excellent APM support.  Append these to the kernel
command:  acpi=off acpm=on nolapic
You may need to install the `apmd' package.  Not 100 percent sure.
ripped from: http://www.geocities.com/tivarsson/linux.html

here's my xmodmap file to turn some keys into something X11 can recognise:

~/.Xmodmap
! page-left key (by arrow keys):
keycode 233 = F13
! page-right:
keycode 234 = F14
! numlock no-worky without this:
keycode 77 = Num_Lock
keycode 78 = Scroll_Lock
! fn key:
!keycode 277 = F15

trackpoint support:
I patched a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel with this:
    http://people.clarkson.edu/~evanchsa/software/kernel/patches/
the 2.6.6 patch worked with the stock ubuntu-warty kernel sources but
is lacking features of the 2.6.10 patch.
With 2.6.10 I have vertical-scrolling and press-to-select working.  It
rocks.  see  /proc/thinkpad for making adjustments to the running
module.

Here's my xorg/xfree config section for the trackpoint:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "TrackPoint"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event2"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "7"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

why seven buttons?  horizontal scrolling is mentioned in the source,
but I can't get it working yet.  :-/

well, that should get you started.

--
Noah Dain