[ltp] Network card always ON

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:25:44 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jerome Poggi wrote:

> last days I discover that whem my T42 and T41 is in sleep mode (acpi S3)
> the network card is always power on. I see it because I plug an ethernet
> cable and see the two leds blinking.
> I use 2.6.11rc5 with software suspend 2.1.7.2 and radeonstuff patch.
>
> Did anybody see it also ?

No, sorry.  I wanted to do wired ethernet with my T40 but the cable would
get in the way and damaged from being rolled over and stepped on (or be
quite difficult to route), so I had to do 802.11.

It's probably active to support wake-on-LAN.  Maybe disabling WOL in the
BIOS (though I doubt what the BIOS says is relevant), or rmmod-ing the
appropriate module(s).  Maybe there's an option to the module to not support
WOL?  modinfo should say.

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking