[ltp] INTEL PRO 2200BG 802.11 b/g wireless LAN mini-PCI card

Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:27:53 -0500

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:19:26 -0800, Elliot F
<elliotf-thinkpadlinux@gratuitous.net> wrote:
> Elliot F wrote:
> > s p wrote:
> >

> <snip>
>
> >> Thanks to all for your feedback. Incidentally, I'm presently leaning
> >> toward Ubuntu as the distro that will be used. Again, thanks to
> >> everyone, and all the best!
> >>
> >> Sam.
> >

> > An 802.11a/b/g intel wireless nic is arriving today to replace the
> > atheros card in my laptop.  It was only $40.52 shipped from newegg.com.
> > I had paid $95 for the 802.11a/b/b atheros unit.  I'll let you know how
> > it goes.
> >
> > Primarily, I bought it so that I could use the netmanager applet (which
> > madwifi does not support at the moment.)
> >
> > Link to item on newegg ("WM3B2915ABGNAX"):
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-219&depa=0
>
> It arrived, and I installed it.  I applied the fix to remove the wireless nic
> check, so I don't know if it's compatible or not.  I'll try reenabling the check
> and seeing if it works.
>
> The card works well, and is much more responsive to changing channels and
> scanning than the atheros/madwifi was.  The 0.19 version I was using (that came
> with ubuntu) had some incompatiblity with the madwifi/prism54 linux APs I was
> using, so I have upgraded to 1.0.0.
>
> When I get home I will see if the version update helps with compatibility with
> the madwifi/prism54 APs.  Basically, the connection would die after a certain
> amount of time when using the linux-based APs.  I had to switch back to using a
> wrt54g as an AP in the meantime.
>
> Pretty happy with the card overall.
>
> Elliot

does anyone know off hand if the X24 has a minipci slot for a wifi
card or not?  Also does it have an antenna built in or not?  My x24
has a built in modem and 10/100, so I suppose I may have to give one
of those up to get wifi.  I could care less about the modem.

Alex