[ltp] CDROM Firmware Update

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:01:48 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Robert Hilbrich wrote:

> I wanted to upgrade the firmware for my CDRW-DVD Drive in my Thinkpad
> T40p 2373-G1G, but I found out, it was only offered as a disk image. As
> I don't have a 3.5" drive, I am obviously not able to do the update and
> be able to read certain DVDs. Is there any chance to do the update
> without a disk drive?

There's a method to make a bootable CD by supplying the (loopback mounted?)
floppy image as the source of boot-stuff, then using the contents of the
"floppy" to populate the CD.  I've never done it.  *google google* How about
this:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

                 Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
                    about who it makes friends with.