[ltp] CDROM Firmware Update

Dexter Ang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:24:39 +0800

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 01:01 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Robert Hilbrich wrote:
>
> > I wanted to upgrade the firmware for my CDRW-DVD Drive in my Thinkpad
> > T40p 2373-G1G, but I found out, it was only offered as a disk image. As
> > I don't have a 3.5" drive, I am obviously not able to do the update and
> > be able to read certain DVDs. Is there any chance to do the update
> > without a disk drive?
>
> There's a method to make a bootable CD by supplying the (loopback mounted?)
> floppy image as the source of boot-stuff, then using the contents of the
> "floppy" to populate the CD.  I've never done it.  *google google* How about
> this:
>
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

Umm... is it actually sane to update an optical drive's firmware, by
booting a cd on it to update to it? I've updated my BIOS before by
burning the floppy image as a bootable cd. But updating the cd firmware?
Sounds a little screwy.

On the other hand, I'd recommend the OP to try to find a spare USB flash
disk. My T30 boots from USB, so his T40 should as well.

dex