[ltp] problems with memory upgrade

Stefan Blum linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:25:29 +0100

Hi, I know that this is the linux-tp mailing list (but hey, my X20 runs
linux!) :)
Now the X20 has 64mb soldered in and 1 slot for upgrades. It supports 320mb
max. So I bought a 256mb kingston module - however, the notebook only
recognises a total of 192mb, which means the new module is seen as a 128mb
module.
Back to the store, the guy tells me that for IBM-Thinkpads I must use special
IBM-memory - something about different voltage with the bios...

Did anybody experience similar problems? One should think that once the new
module is within the general specifications for the notebook it should
work...

Cheers and thanks for your help!

Stefan