[ltp] Sound on Thinkpad 600

JP Shipherd linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:20:34 -0500

FYI...I did install Mandrake and sound is working!

The sound wouldn't configure during the install, but after my first boot I
was able to run alsaconf out of the box which scanned the system for the ISA
sound hardware, found it and set it up pretty painlessly.

So far the biggest difficulty was getting my screen resolution to 1024x780,
but now that seems to be working.

Just out of curiosity, how different is Mandrake from RedHat?  Will certain
packages only be available on one distribution or the other?

Thanks again,
--jp

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Nigel
Wilkinson
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:28 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: RE: [ltp] Sound on Thinkpad 600

--On Tuesday, March 01, 2005 21:51:18 -0500 JP Shipherd
<jpjpjp@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>> OK, I'm afraid I use Mandrake 10.1 and found that alsaconf ( in the
>> als-utils-1.0.6 package ) recognised the card and the fact that it was a
>> TP600 and need to use CS4236 emulation and set it up out the box. The
>> config tool you tried was probably sndconfig which I've always found to
>> have problems with the TP600.
>
> I'm definitely getting the message that the distro I'm using isn't the
> best. Since you are the first person whose said that it worked "out of
> the box" for them I'm willing to try yours if I can't muddle through with
> what I've got in the next few days.  Can you send me a pointer to where I
> should look for it?
>
> Also, I chose Redhat just because I'd heard it was fairly easy for someone
> who had never used Linux before.  Does Mandrake come with a windows
> manager like gnome so someone with little linux experience can poke
> around?

Have a look at

http://www.mandrakelinux.com

the free download edition is 3 ISO images

It comes with a plethora of window managers including Gnome & KDE and Gnome
runs fine on the TP600, however since this is older hardware I use icewm
which has a smaller memory demand along with a file manager called Rox. Rox
is available in the contrib directory of the Mandrake mirrors or can be
found at

http://rox.sourceforge.net

Cheers
Nigel