[ltp] T20 Freezes

Jon Savage linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:55:31 -0800

My t20 running Fedora Core 3 is exhibiting some fairly frustrating
behavior namely
it freezes up to the point where only depressing the power button will
help. This usually occurs when rapidly scrolling on a webpage
(firefox) but can also occur when working with other
applications.

No HDD activity, no keyboard just a frozen display. I am also unable
to ssh into that machine when it is in that state. That also happens
with ubuntu (more frequently) and knoppix (about the same frequency as
Fedora).

I suspect this may be something Xorg/savage related but can't pin it
down. It could also
be hardware related but the laptop runs win2K quite happily w/o any issues.
I've run memtest overnight sucessfully, which makes RAM issues less likely.
I've checked both Xorg's and Fedora's bugzilla and see nothing relevant.

I'm wondering if :
1. Missing a tweak that will resolve this
2. If anyone else has seen and/or resolved this issue
or
3. If it is time to get a new laptop

Bests

Jon