[ltp] R40 and a second monitor... Happy ending?!

Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:20:16 -0500

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:07:17 +0100, Johannes Rieken <johannes@riejo.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am proud owner of a R40 2722 CDG and a Belinea 101741. Now I try to a make a
> match between my two sweethearts. Unfortunately this evil SuSE Linux 9.2 and
> nasty X 6.8.1 bar me from doing so. This is the story:
>
> The point from where I started:
> When I connect the external TFT to the laptop before X starts the laptop
> screen stays black. On the other hand both display work when I connect the
> TFT after starting X. But this is not satisfactory because I don't need to
> see everythink twice and the because the TFT doesn't display everythink; It
> has a smaller resolution (1280x1024 opposed to 1400x1050).
>
> What I tried:
> I changed my xorg.conf and added a new Monitor/Screen/Modes/Device Sections,
> switched on Xinerama, and started again. But their is no difference...
>
> What I need:
> Someone who can help me. I assume this topic in the same or a simular fashion
> was discussed more than once and I should have found the solution somewhere
> out on the web, but I haven't. So, I would be thankful if someone could give
> me a better xorg.conf, a web link, or some hints.

first of all what are you trying to accomplish?  Dualhead or clone mode?
it sounds like X isn't detecting your monitor properly.  you might try adding:
Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
to the first device section of your config.  Also please post your log
somewhere.
You might also look through the radeon man page for some help in
understanding what options are available for radeon.

Alex