[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Alexandru D. Salcianu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:27:50 -0500

Hello!

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 2373-6VU, 1.7GHz Centrino, ATI Radeon 7500,
running Fedora Core 3, kernel 2.6.10-1.766_FC3, Xorg 6.8.1.

My (huge) problem is that the fan is always on in Linux, at full
speed, even when I don't run anything ;( I've even changed the BIOS
settings such that the processor always runs at min speed (600Mhz) and
the noise from the fan is unchanged ...

Looking at previous posts on this list, I understand that the problem
is not the CPU, but the video card.  I've edited my xorg.cong file to
turn on the DynamicClocks option of the Radeon driver:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option      "DynamicClocks" "True"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
EndSection

The option is correctly processed by Xorg, as indicated by Xorg.0.log:

(**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" "True"

Still, the fan is still on, with no change whatsoever.

Is there any known solution to the noisy T42 fan problem?

Also, do you know any way of measuring the GPU clockspeed?  (to test
whether the DynamicClocks setting has any effect).

Thanks,

Alex

PS: I strongly believe the hardware is OK.  I even had an IBM
technician replace my fan, so the current one is brand new.  The fan
works as expected in Windows, operating at a very low level most of
the time.