[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:03:34 +0100

--=-K/ywvq73/h4Ae1hEh8JI

> >My (huge) problem is that the fan is always on in Linux, at full
> >speed, even when I don't run anything ;( I've even changed the BIOS
> >settings such that the processor always runs at min speed (600Mhz) and
> >the noise from the fan is unchanged ...
> >
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsamwel/laptop_mode/

... has nothing to do with this, since it's just about hard disk
spindown times and not about cpu, gpu or fan related things.

> >Looking at previous posts on this list, I understand that the problem
> >is not the CPU, but the video card.  I've edited my xorg.cong file to
> >turn on the DynamicClocks option of the Radeon driver:
> >
> >Section "Device"
> >        Identifier  "Videocard0"
> >        Driver      "radeon"
> >        Option      "DynamicClocks" "True"
> >        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
> >        BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
> >EndSection
> >
> >The option is correctly processed by Xorg, as indicated by Xorg.0.log:
> >
> >(**) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicClocks" "True"
> >
> >Still, the fan is still on, with no change whatsoever.
> >
> >Is there any known solution to the noisy T42 fan problem?

Are you on APM on ACPI?
Can you validate that your CPU is running at 600MHZ (cat /proc/cpuinfo)?
Try using the kernels cpu frequencing features rather than BIOS
settings. (see
http://www.thinkwiki.org/How_to_make_use_of_Dynamic_Frequency_Scaling ).
Preferrably use the ondemand governor.

> >Also, do you know any way of measuring the GPU clockspeed?  (to test
> >whether the DynamicClocks setting has any effect).

Compare ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net for that.

Good luck,
Andr=E9.

--=-K/ywvq73/h4Ae1hEh8JI

--=-K/ywvq73/h4Ae1hEh8JI--