[ltp] Wireless Card

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:29:28 -0800

Chris Brotherton wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a mini PCI wireless card from my T41.  Here are my
> choices:
>
>  	Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 11 b/g mPCI Adapter from IBM
> 	IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II
> 	IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI adapter
>
> Can anyone give me advice as to which one will work the best with linux?
>
> Chris.

I'm using a intel pro/wireless 2200bg card and it works very well.  The
ipw2200.sf.net drivers seem to work very well here for me; but I've also
used the linuxant drivers.  I have only found one minor issue here with
the card.  I get disconnects at random times which are not associated as
far as I can tell with interference; but truth be told, that happened
with orinoco cards here as well.

I'm happy with my choice and the drivers are maturing very quickly.
There are kernel compile requirements around the ipw2200 driver for wep
to be aware of.  Its all written up pretty well on the driver resource
site (ipw2200.sf.net).

The other point when I bought the card was a price point.  I ended up
buying two of them for around $40 each.  Seems like a good price point
to me.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org