[ltp] Wireless Card

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 03:51:56 -0500

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:30:49 -0800, obi <graziano@cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 04:17:19AM +0100, Adrian Pantea wrote:
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG just works, but it's a pain in the ass. Iwspy
> > doesn't work (function disabled by firmware) and WPA/TKIP should work, but i
> > can't get it to run. In order to use WPA with shared key auth and TKIP you
> > have to dl and configure wpa_supplicant (another pain-in-the-ass software).
> > Other people also have problems with these functions. I'd take a look at
> > Prism adapters as it is now.
> > Adrian
>
> I'm using ipw2200 1.0.1 and wpa_supplicant 0.3.8-1 (from Debian sid) and
> wpa works nicely. Indeed, iwspy doesn't work for me.
>
> graziano

just dropped an atheros a/b/g card in my r40 last week, upgrading from
a cisco b.  The madwifi drivers work quite well, and are easy to build
(just make,make install).

no iwspy yet support yet.

I'm running a 2.6 kernel, but there appears to be plenty of madwifi
rpms out there for 2.4 kernels (googled for "madwifi kernel 2.4")

also, I paid 20 bucks for it off ebay.  Brand new.  The only drawback
is the wifi led doesn't work (oh, dear!), and you have to run a little
program from dos to hack the cmos (not bios, so it's safe).  If you
upgrade your bios or do a cmos clear you would have to run it again
(oh, dear! part ii).

the little program is called "no1802.com".  It's named after the error
code an ibm bios will show if you install a non-ibm mini-pci card (as
well as preventing the machine from booting).  It's all due to some
silly fcc dorking rule.

this program will have the same effect on an intel, or other type of
card as well, so no need to get buggered by ibm prices either way you
go.

http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/

oh, and supposedly it's possible to run it as an access point  :-D
(insert evil-overload laughter here)

--
Noah Dain
noahdain@gmail.com