[ltp] CPU Throttling on R50p

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:18:16 -0500 (EST)

Actually, there are two separate methods that "throttle" the CPU.  There is the cpuspeed daemon which performs cpu "scaling" according to "governors."  This is done automatically based on CPU load.  This can only go down to 600 MHz.  You can set this frequency manually by echoing the frequency into the file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
For example:
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
You can do much more, I wrote a howto on this a few months ago and it is probably still in the archives.
Also, there is cpu "throttling".  This is controlled by acpi and you can set it manually or have it automatically kick in using acpi power management profiles.  Without knowing your distro and desktop manager I can't say for sure but Fedora/KDE lets you change this dynamically in klaptop.  I'm sure there's a shell command for it too, maybe someone knows...  You should be able to throttle the CPU down to 87% of its normal speed.
As for Dynamic Clocks, I think you need the radeon driver for that.
-m