[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Alexandru D. Salcianu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:07:12 -0500

Hello!

As explained on its webpage http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsamwel/laptop_mode/
laptop mode affects the HDD:

  Laptop mode [...] is a kernel "mode" that allows you to extend the
  battery life of your laptop.  It does this by intelligently grouping
  write activity on your disks, so that only reads of uncached data
  result in a disk spinup.  It causes a significant improvement in
  battery life (for usage patterns that allow it).

So, nothing about CPU, GPU, frequency scaling, etc.  I don't think
it's relevant for the fan noise problem, but I'll give it a try this
evening.

Thanks,

Alex