[ltp] CPU Throttling on R50p

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:28:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Winsley von Spee wrote:

> The Pentium M CPU's aren't able to scale to a lower freq than 600 MHz. The
> newer one (the one with the dothan core) are only able to scale down to
> 800 MHz. If something in Windows report a clock speed of 200 MHz it's
> wrong.

Or reporting the net with-added-sleep-states speed.  Rather misleading.

> Throttling doesn't change the cpu clock it just adds idle cycles to
> reduce the power consumption if the cpu is to hot.

I read somewhere (can't find the source) that inserting sleep states is not
very effective for reducing power use.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_