[ltp] Ok to remove Recovery Partition?

Michael Z Daryabeygi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:13:04 -0500

SOTL wrote:
> On Thursday 10 March 2005 13:47, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a T42, with Windows XP.  I've finished the XP startup, and I used
>>the option to make 7 CDs to recover from, and actually used them to
>>re-install XP.
>>
>>Is there something else I should get out of the Recovery Partiton before I
>>remove it?  I noticed IBM mentioned something about "Windows Recovery"
>>right by the link I used to make the 7 CDs mentioned above - is that
>>something separate?
>>
>>I'm hanging out to get my 4G of space back, but don't want to paint myself
>>into any corners...
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bret
>

> IBM will give you a recovery disk if you ask for one.
not necessarily. and it is more than one disk...
Another option is to take an image and store it away.  That way you
don't have to start from scratch if you have to restore.
I use Acronis which may be one of the few that will shrink an NTFS
partition.  I guess it doesn't actually shrink it but will allow you to
restore to a partition of a different size(or format).

Keep in mind that you won't get a full 4 Gig out of removing it.

Your drive is not as big as you think it is.
Manufacturers report using decimal multiples (e.g. -- KB = 1,000 bytes
rather than 1024 bytes, which your system uses)
see -- http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/hdd/spaceBinaryDecimal-c.html

In addition a lot of that 4GB is taken up by FAT or clusters or whatever
it is that partitions use to keep track of data. I'm no expert.  The
bigger the drive, the more space is made unavailable.

I tried to find out how big the partition is.
no specific success, but enough to confirm my recollection that it is
less than 2G.