[ltp] Re: Wvdial cant get serial info

Shorty linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:30:10 +1000

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:00 +1000, Shorty wrote:
> This isnt really thinkpad specific, (I dont think) but at am a loss to fix
> it. Running debian sarge with slmodem 2.9.9-alsa. After an upgrade (which
> havent done for some time due to being on dial up) all of a sudden wvdial
> cant use the modem. I get the error
> cannot open /dev/ttySLO
> cannot get info for serial port
> This is the first time wvdial has played up on me. Have tried booting into
> older kernels (am running 2.6.10) but still the same error. I even tried
> compiling with the slamr module and now I cant even load the module, which
> have also never had a problem with before. I do have the /dev/ttySLO in
dev
> directory with root permissions and group of uucp. Tried playing with
> permissions, but dont think thats the problem. Ran setserial to see what
it
> says (dont really know much about the whole thing) and it reports same
> error. This has me stumped. I had about 300 things upgraded so I have no
> idea what could be causing the problem. This is all on a r40. Hopefully
> someone can point me in the right direction as I only have dial up at home
> and dont want to have to restore to an older image.

Someone reported the same problem with wvdial here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=297694 .  Maybe
downgrading wvdial will work for you.

MichaelI have downloaded but not installed (yet) an earlier wvdial package.
I am starting to lean towards the opinion though that its not actually
wvdial. After checking through the logs, I found no errors. However when
rebooting I am getting an alsa error.
/etc/init.d alsa restore alsa ctrl returned with error  no state is present
for card modem.
Unfortunately this error doesnt turn up in the logs, which has always
stumped me, why boot logs dont always show errors that you get when you
actually boot the machine (such as fatal module errors) snd-intel8x0m
appears to be loading without errors, but seeing as I am having problems
with the slamr module loading after compiling slmodem 2.9.9 i'm starting to
think there is something else going on here. Possibly modprobe or something
else to do with module loading. Not sure. Will keep dist-upgrading untill I
have to go back home and hoping it will fix the problem. Thanks michael for
pointing out that bug though, as I hadnt seen that in my looking around for
the answer.
Shorty