[ltp] wireless and wired adapters

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:08 +0100

--=-lIqtuRgXZEI7TrcryqXX

On Mi, 2005-03-09 at 15:17 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Tino Keitel wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 13:29:11 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> >=20
> >>In my ath0 wireless interface scripts, should I check if e1000 (my wire=
d=20
> >>eth0) is active and modprobe -r it to avoid routing/performance problem=
s ?
> >=20
> >=20
> > I use ifplugd, so eth0 will only be configured if a cable is actually
> > plugged in.
> >=20
>=20
> Ehm .... :) I do too ! Now comes the weird question. The UNconfigured=20
> eth0 interface will NEVER cause ANY problems ?

Hei Bob, everything ok with you? ;-)

An unconfigured eth0 interface is almost like a non-existing one.
However, make sure it is really unconfigured...hotplug might try
configuring your network devices as well. So check if ifplugd really
unconfigures it properly - if you happen to have any trouble.

Also - an alternative to unconfiguring the device is to change the
systems default route to the wireless interface as long as it's up.
This way you could still have something else connected to eth0.

Andr=E9.

--=-lIqtuRgXZEI7TrcryqXX

--=-lIqtuRgXZEI7TrcryqXX--