[ltp] Ok to remove Recovery Partition?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:03:38 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Michael Z Daryabeygi wrote:

> I admit, I have a T41, and I have not removed my partition, but my
> co-worker did remove hers.  She certainly did not get back 5g.
> And that + 4 gig that you are counting on 7 CD's -- it includes a copy
> in compressed form right?  And is not expecting more than 50%
> compression reasonable?
> I find 5g actually recovered hard to believe.  But if you say so.
> Also, when I requested the recovery CD's from IBM, there were only 5, not 7.
>
> SOTL, do report back on how much space you recover.

Well, I thought that you could find out how big it is by simple math on the
output of "fdisk -l", but I just checked and that's not correct.  So, get
the drive's model number with "hdparm -i /dev/hda" (ICN25N030ATMR040-0 in my
case), do a web search for e.g "icn25n030atmr04-0 specs", from that get its
true capacity (30*10^9 B in my case), convert that to
everywhere-else-in-computers gigabytes (27.9 GiB), and subtract what fdisk
says is its capacity from that (27.9 - 26881188864/2^30 = 2.9 GiB).  So my
(T40) pre-desktop area is 2.9 GiB, or around 6.6% of the drive.

      He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
        and he who dares not is a slave.  -Sir William Drummond