[ltp] DVD region

T. Ivarsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:36:22 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Sen" <dsen@ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:00:22 +1100

>=20
> About to travel overseas. Whats the latest status on playing DVDs=20
> from different regions? (I am taking the T42p with a=20
> MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-812) DVD player
>=20
> Is it still possible to set the region to 0 by a firmware upgrade=20
> on these things such that they play all regions?

I have an R40 with a GCC-4042N DVD-drive so this may not work with your dri=
ve, but hopefully someone else may benefit from it... To play DVDs was neve=
r an isse (no matter what region, tested with region 1, 2, and 3) but the d=
rive wouldn't read some DVD+R and DVD+RW discs (DVD-R/RW were no problems).=
 This is what I did:

1) From the IBM website I downloaded the correct file (after trial-and-erro=
r I found out that I needed fwdr1605.exe)
2) On my desktop running WinXP (and with a floppy), I created the bootable =
floppy
3) Following the steps at http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd I created I bootable CD =
with the extracted IBM files. (AFAIK: Nero's bootable CD option does not su=
pport extended memory - needed by the flash-program.)
4) I booted my R40 with the newly created CD (using the emm386-option)
5) I ran fw.exe, it said that my drive needed updated firmware (new version=
 0214), and it asked me to put the disk FWDR1605 into A:. The problem was t=
hat A: had the boot-image, and R: had my firmware files (as config'd by Bar=
t the Boot CD guy)
6) Instead I ran the file 42upi214.exe, which I figured out was the correct=
 firmware
7) Three minute later, and after a fresh re-boot, I could read DVD+R and DV=

Good luck,
T.
--=20
NEW! Lycos Dating Search. The only place to search multiple dating sites at=
 once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com