[ltp] usb memory ??

Dean Hedin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:47:31 +0000

On Sunday 13 March 2005 01:32 pm, Eben King wrote:

> I believe USB 2.0 devices are compatible with USB 1.1 ports in general.=
=20
> XP, for instance, warns me that I have connected a low-speed device to =
> high-speed port when I connect my USB drive to that machine., but it wo=
rks
> (albeit at 12 Mb/s).  Do you think Cruzers are different?

Right.  If I stick my Cruzer into my T30 in XP it says "This device can=20
perform faster..."   The Cruzer then works at the slow speed.   No fault =
of=20
the Cruzer, the T30 does'nt have USB 2.0 host controller. =20

But I have another one (might be Memorex) here that will not work in XP o=
n the=20
T30.    It will work on a machine that has USB 2.0 host controller.

I have also seen USB flash drives not work when connected to a USB 4 port=
=20
hub.

I think is all comes down to the quality of the USB flash controller, som=
e=20
implement  the backwards compatibility better than others.