[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Chris Chiappa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:51:52 -0500

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:16:29AM -0500, Alexandru D. Salcianu wrote:
> It looks to me that current power management tools in Linux simply
> cannot handle my laptop (the fan noise is acceptable in Windows,
> although things can be improved a bit there too).  I'm looking forward
> to trying the next versions of acpi and ibm_acpi.
Have you verified that your processor is not running at full speed by
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq ?  I'm not sure the
BIOS settings work in Linux, my fan was running almost all the time but once
I loaded speedstep_centrino and cpufreq_ondemand and ran this:

---===
#!/bin/sh

DIR=/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

echo -n Enabling on-demand CPU frequency governor...
echo ondemand > $DIR/scaling_governor
cat $DIR/cpuinfo_min_freq > $DIR/scaling_min_freq
cat $DIR/cpuinfo_max_freq > $DIR/scaling_max_freq
echo done
===---

the fan only comes on occasionally now and is quieter when it does come on.

--

..ooOO chris@chiappa.net              | My opinions are my own  OOoo..
..ooOO chris.chiappa@oracle.com       | and certainly not those OOoo..